Information for Ukrainian refugees


On this page you will find information about your stay in the Netherlands. Information about staying in the Netherlands you can find on the website of the Dutch Council for Refugees [Vluchtelingenwerk]:

Reception centres

If you are unable to stay with friends or family, the Dutch government will provide you with somewhere to sleep, food and medical care. If you are not yet registered as a resident of Amersfoort in the Personal Records Database [BasisRegistratiePersonen] (BRP), you can obtain a referral to a reception centre in the Netherlands where there is space at the following locations:

The municipality of Amersfoort has 3 reception centres where a total of around 450 people from Ukraine can stay (temporarily). These are:

If you have been staying with a host family in Amersfoort but have to leave, you should contact the municipality as soon as possible via The municipality will then try to arrange alternative accommodation for you.

If you have just arrived in Amersfoort and your partner already has accommodation in one of our reception centres, you can send an email to and the municipality will look to see whether a place is available for you. If not, you and your partner can register in Amsterdam or Utrecht for new accommodation for both of you together.

How long are the current municipal reception centres going to stay open?

The Zonnehof reception centre is going to stay open until October 2023. 

Where can you go after that?

If the war continues and/or returning is not an option for you, there are a number of options as regards what you can do after that:

New municipal locations

The municipality of Amersfoort is going to have 2 former office premises at Hardwareweg 4 and 6 converted into studio flats so that they can be used as accommodation for refugees. The intention is to create approximately 100 independent studios. They are scheduled to be ready at the end of January 2024.

These new premises are initially going to be used to accommodate Ukrainian refugees, but it is not yet known who exactly will be moving in. We will provide you with more information as soon as it is available.  

Other residential accommodation

The other option is to look for other residential accommodation independently:

  1. If you have an annual income from paid employment which is higher than € 40.765 for a one-person household or € 45.014 for a multi-person household, you can rent a property temporarily on the private rental market, or via your own network by asking your employer, colleagues and acquaintances whether they know of anyone who is offering (temporary) accommodation. You can find information and links at RefugeeHelp - How do I rent a property in the Netherlands? - Information for Ukrainians.
  2. If you have an annual income from paid employment which is lower than € 40.765 for a one-person household or € 45.014 for a multi-person household, you can register for social housing. Due to a shortage of social housing in the Netherlands you will then unfortunately be added to a long waiting list and it may take many years before you are offered somewhere to live. Every now and again homes are allocated by drawing lots and, in that case, your position on the waiting list is irrelevant. You can find those homes under 'Drawing Lots' [Loting] on the WoningNet website.
  3. If you have sufficient (permanent) income and/or assets and would like to stay in the Netherlands for longer, you can purchase a house on the private housing market, or via your own network. An estate agent can tell you more about your options.

NB: The living allowance is not the same as income because it is not income from work. You are entitled to the living allowance if you are staying in a municipal reception centre or with a host family and are not earning any money from work. If you are renting a property or room independently, you will not be entitled to the living allowance.
You may also receive a tax assessment (tax demand) for local taxes if you independently rent or purchase somewhere to live. If you do not have enough income to pay the tax demand, you should send an email to so that we can assess how we might be able to help you.

As soon as there is more clarity, we will provide information via our website and the newsletter: Help for Ukrainian refugees | Municipality of Amersfoort.


All Ukrainian refugees who are staying in Amersfoort must go to the town hall to be registered in the Personal Records Database [Basisregistratie Personen] (BRP). In order to register you need a passport, ID card or birth certificate. After registering you will receive a Dutch Citizen Service Number (BSN). This is also a condition for you to receive the living allowance.

Good to know

Apply for DigiD

You need a DigiD to arrange things with government and some other organisations (e.g. taxes, insurance, etc). You can use it to log onto the websites of these organisations. You can apply for a DigiD via the DigiD website. Enter the requested data and enter ‘Next’.

You will need a Citizen Service Number (BSN), which you received at city hall when you registered in the city’s BRP (personal records database).

Staying in the Netherlands

If you have a Ukrainian passport, you do not need to apply for asylum in the Netherlands. You are then covered by a special residence status meaning that you are allowed to stay in the Netherlands until, in any event, 4 March 2024. This period can be extended to a maximum of three years. 

This status means that you will have access during your stay in the Netherlands to, among other things:

  • education
  • medical care
  • work

Applying for a Ukrainian passport/driving licence

It is now possible for Ukrainians to apply for a Ukrainian passport, renew a passport, or exchange a driving licence in Germany. They can do so in Berlin and Cologne. In Berlin, you can make an appointment via Passport Service Berlin, while up-to-date info is available via their Facebook page. In Cologne, you can make an appointment via their Passport Service Cologne, while up-to-date info is available at their Facebook page.

Residence sticker in passport

The Immigration and Naturalisation Service [Immigratie- en Naturalisatie Dienst] (IND) is glueing a proof of residency (a sticker) in passports as proof that you are allowed to stay and work in the Netherlands until 4 March 2023.

Anyone who has registered at the town hall (a BRP or Key Register of Persons registration), can plan an appointment via the appointment planner

People with a Ukrainian passport who were already residing in the Netherlands before 1 April 2023 and whose sticker expired, have received a letter from the Immigration and Naturalisation Service [Immigratie- en Naturalisatie Dienst] (IND). This letter is known as the ‘O-document’ and means that your proof of residency has been extended.

You are obliged to have proof of residency if you want to work in the Netherlands. You will therefore need both your residency sticker and your O-document to prove that you are allowed to work.

NB: You may receive a fake link, which is doing the rounds, asking you to make an appointment by submitting your personal data, such as your Citizen Service Number (BSN). Please only make your appointment using the above link, or via the IND website, and report any suspicions of fraud to the IND.

If you have any questions about making an appointment with the IND, you can call +31 88 043 03 61 on Monday to Friday, between 9.00 and 17.00. You can’t make an appointment via this telephone number, and emergency appointments will not be arranged. Visit  If you are having trouble making an appointment, you can find more information via the link Refugee Help - Make an appointment to collect your proof of residency.

[clarification] A refugee who wants a (permanent) residence permit for the Netherlands must apply to the Immigration and Naturalisation Service [Immigratie en Naturalisatiedienst].

Information for 3rd country nationals

The right to stay for some refugees from Ukraine who have a passport from a different country was supposed to end on 4 September 2023 (see RefugeeHelp - No Ukrainian citizenship). In the meantime it is decided that for now they can remain in The Netherlands. At least until the Raad van State has reached a final verdict on whether our Secretary of State is allowed to end the temporary protection for 3rd country nationals. (The Raad van State is the highest administrative judge in the Netherlands.) The final verdict is expected by the end of November 2023. Until then there will be no changes in their rights to shelter, living allowance or work.

This does not apply to those who applied for asylum and who have registered with COA at Plotterweg 26-28. They can move to Plotterweg and resume their own procedure.

Changes for those initiating a regular asylum application procedure.

Ukrainian refugees with a different nationality that initiate a regular asylum application procedure, have received a letter detailing these changes. In summary:

  • If you are staying at a municipal reception centre, you can relocate to a COA AZC (‘asylum seekers’ centre’). If you are staying with a host family, you can remain there for the duration of your procedure.
  • Your living allowance will no longer be paid by the municipality but by the COA. 
  • You are allowed to work a maximum of 24 weeks per year. If you are registered with a university of applied sciences or university before 4 September 2023, you can continue your study.
  • Necessary medical care will be paid for by the RMA from now on. If you live with a host family, you can remain with your current GP. If you reside at an AZC, medical care by a GP will be handled via the GZA (scroll to Amersfoort).

You can find more information on the  RefugeeHelp website.

Leaving the Netherlands temporarily

You can leave the Netherlands for a maximum of 28 days without this having an effect on, for example, your living allowance.

If you want to stay away for longer than 28 nights, you will be regarded as having permanently departed and you will have to deregister from the Personal Records Database (BRP) and you will no longer be entitled to any living allowance. If you nevertheless return at a later date, you will once again have to complete the procedure of registering for a place with the VRU and registering your details in the BRP in order to receive the living allowance in the municipality you end up in.

NB: If you are staying in the Hellestraat, Utrechtseweg or Zonnehof municipal reception centres, additional rules apply. The municipal reception centre provides emergency shelter which is currently in high demand for various groups of refugees. If you are away, your place in the reception centre will only be held open for a maximum of 14 nights.

Returning after a trip within the EU  
Refugees from Ukraine who have a different nationality (a passport from a 3rd country) will not receive a return or entry visa from the IND in order to return to the Netherlands. This applies even if you have proof of residency! Refugees with a biometric, Ukrainian passport with proof of residency (sticker + O document) will, however, be able to travel to and from countries within the EU without restriction.

Returning after a trip within the EU  

Refugees from Ukraine who have a different nationality (a passport from a 3rd country) will not receive a return or entry visa from the IND in order to return to the Netherlands. This applies even if you have proof of residency! Refugees with a biometric, Ukrainian passport with proof of residency (sticker + O document) will, however, be able to travel to and from countries within the EU without restriction.


In the event of immediate danger you should call the emergency number in the Netherlands which is: 112. Less urgent matters can be reported to the local police via 0900 8844.

If you suspect someone is being coerced or exploited, you can also report this to the local police. Victims of human trafficking can contact CoMensha, the national Coordination Centre against Human Trafficking. They can arrange refuge and assistance for victims and provide information and advice. You can obtain more information by calling them on +31 (0)33 448 1186, or by sending an email to, or by visiting their website.

You can also increase your personal safety by keeping your personal possessions, such as your wallet, telephone and passport, close to hand. Make sure that friends or family know where you are and where you are going and, if necessary, agree a code word which you can use in the event of danger.

Medical care

If you need medical care, you can make an appointment with a care provider (GP, dentist, A&E, etc.). Your centre manager, community coach or host family can show you how. The care provider can claim the costs partially or in full under the Ukrainian Refugee Medical Care Scheme [Regeling Medische zorg voor Ontheemden uit Oekraïne] (RMO) scheme, or in accordance with the Essential Medical Care for Uninsured Persons Subsidy Scheme [Subsidieregeling Medisch Noodzakelijke Zorg voor Onverzekerden]. You can find more information here

Health insurance is then no longer necessary. It may be the case that in your situation it is more beneficial to keep a health insurance policy and any care allowance. If you have any doubts, you can get advice from the Dutch Council for Refugees [Vluchtelingenwerk].

Refugees are always entitled to care from the basic health insurance package.

GP’s in Amersfoort

If you have not yet visited a GP and reside at the Hellestraat or Utrechtseweg reception centre: your administrator has registration forms for GPs in the city who can register new patients. Unfortunately you cannot choose your GP; the administrator will divide everyone equally between the GPs. This ensures that practices do not become overcrowded. Have you already visited a GP in the city? Then you can remain their patient. 

Medication info in other languages

The information about medication you are offered by your GP is often in Dutch. This website provides medication data in other languages:


The reimbursements also cover dental care in the event of acute pain (€ 250), contraception (with the exception of condoms), abortion-related care, glasses and hearing aids (if permission is granted) and certain medicines. Limited reimbursements are available to cover the costs of visits to the dentist and other dental care for adults, such as dental surgery and dentures. The majority of dental costs are reimbursed in full in the case of policyholders aged under 18. The basic health insurance package does not include any reimbursements for treatment provided by an orthodontist.

If you need to visit a dentist for the first time, you can call Tandartsenpraktijk Ovidius, Parelhoenstraat 28, phone number +31 (0)33-737 0368. Ask the cost of the treatment beforehand. You do not have to pay (in advance) for treatment of acute pain. The dentist can submit a claim for these costs to RMO. You will have to pay for other treatments, however. Information about benefits can be found here.

Youth Health Services

Ukrainian refugees can contact the Child and Youth Health Services [Jeugdgezondheidszorg] for an appointment at a child healthcare centre, for vaccinations and for questions about health and raising children aged up to 18. Assistance provided by the Child and Youth Health Services and the vaccinations are free of charge.


Do you feel anxious, sad or over-stressed? CheckRefugeeHelp - Gezondheidszorg - Mentale steun for some self-help tips. For example:

Need more help? Empatia has started helping Ukrainians who need psychological care find their way in our mental healthcare system. For instance, you have to visit your GP to be referred to a psychologist if necessary. You can use the referral to search for a Ukrainian psychologist on the Empatia website.

Host families

If you have taken Ukrainian refugees into your home, you will initially have to deal mostly with practical matters. After that comes a phase in which the emotions about the situation become important, for your guests, including their children if they have them, but also for yourself.

  • This folder  (only in Dutch) for host families explains what you can do for the people you have welcomed  into your home and for yourself.
  • Host families can also ask for information and advice at the Loket Ontheemden Oekraïne PSH (LOOP), the information, referral and consulting centre. LOOP is available during office hours at this e-mail You can find more information on this website.

Need an interpreter for a visit to a (health)care provider?

Sometimes, it is difficult to explain what is wrong with you or what kind of assistance you need when you visit a Dutch doctor or other care provider. You can ask your doctor or care provider to organise a telephone interpreter free of charge via bureau Acolad via +3120 380 8184. Your doctor or care provider can find more information on the website



Every child has a right to education, including children who are in the Netherlands temporarily, or are refugees.

If your child is aged between 4 and 11 years old, they are obliged to attend school in the Netherlands. The following options are available to you:

  • Preschoolers (4 and 5-year-olds) can attend any primary school you wish, if space is available in the right age group.
  • When the new academic year starts, children aged between 6 and 9 or 10 can attend the Language School (Taalschool) to learn Dutch and often, after a year, a regular primary school of your choice. You can register by sending an email to
  • Pupils who reach the age of 11 or older during the 2022-2023 academic year can attend secondary school in Leusden to learn Dutch. You can register by sending an email to If their Dutch is good enough, they can progress to a regular secondary school of your choice.
When you register you should provide the following details:
  • their name
  • their date of birth
  • the location they are staying at and/or address

If you have children aged between 0 and 4 years old and you want to work, your children can attend a childcare centre. Although you can choose the centre yourself, you should bear in mind that the national shortage of childcare places might make things difficult. If you have found a place at a childcare centre, you may be entitled to a childcare allowance which you can apply for on the government's website (in Dutch). You can find the conditions governing eligibility for the childcare allowance here (Dutch website). 

No tuition fees at MBO schools

Ukrainians younger than 18 who fall under a Temporary Protection Scheme and will study at an MBO school, can apply for a ‘collection exemption’. This means you will not have to pay your tuition fee. You can submit an application via RefugeeHelp can assist you with this.  Sadly this does not apply for universities of applied sciences and universities. More information can be found on the website

Child benefit

If you are in paid employment and have children, you may be entitled to a child benefit. Child benefit is allocated per quarter and is paid out at the end of a quarter. To be eligible your child must have been in the Netherlands for at least 3 consecutive months on the first day of the quarter. You can apply for child benefit via the SVB's website. The SVB (Social Insurance Bank [Sociale Verzekeringsbank]) will then check whether you are entitled to child benefit. Child benefit does not affect payment of the living allowance for children. More information can be found here.

Kids Activities

  • 'City of A' is organising all kinds of activities for young people aged 12-18 years old. Keep an eye on the (Dutch) website for details of the programme!
  • The ABC is organising activities for children aged 4-18 years old. Check the (Dutch) website ABC-Amersfoort for more information.
  • Children aged up to 14: 2 weeks before the summer holidays, primary schoolchildren will receive the Summer Fun Booklet containing activities they can take part in. Children aged 13 and 14 can collect this booklet from a number of locations in Amersfoort. 


The new reception centres have little space for children to play and run around, but with summer coming, children can play outdoors in many places in Amersfoort. Our website offers various suggestions and a map, so you can see where your children can find a playground near you. You can also go to a Buitenkast playground.

Fun to read

Stories for children aged 3-10 in Ukrainian, Russian, English and several other languages, to read together or even to practice your Dutch together. 

Work and studies

As a Ukrainian refugee you are allowed to work in the Netherlands. To do so you need a BSN number and an identity document. It is also obligatory for you to have a proof of residency from the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) if you want to work (see above under 'Staying in the Netherlands'. Your employer must notify the Dutch Employee Insurance Agency (UWV) that you are going to work for them. 

If you want to start working, the Amersfoort region Employer Services Desk [Werkgeversservicepunt] (WSP) can help you find suitable work in the Amersfoort region and we will then make an appointment with you. This can be done in Dutch, English, or with an interpreter. Please visit and fill in the contact form. The WSP will then contact you as soon as possible. You can also check the calendar to see if there are any interesting job fairs in the near future.

If you are working, you will have to arrange all kinds of administrative matters, such as a bank account for your salary, a DigiD so that you can log in to all kinds of organisations, an email address/telephone number so that you can receive codes by text message, etc. You can obtain more information during the walk-in consultation sessions organised by the Dutch Council for Refugees [Vluchtelingenwerk] at our locations.

If you have found work, you must inform the municipality as soon as possible. The same applies to any changes in your situation relating, for example, to work and accommodation. You should send an email to

You will also receive less or no living allowance if you start earning money yourself. You should therefore inform us as quickly as possible, otherwise you will have to repay the living allowance later.

Becoming unemployed again

If you have worked in paid employment for longer than 23 weeks and are dismissed through no fault of your own, you will be eligible for a benefit under the Unemployment Insurance Act. You can find more information on the (Dutch) website of the Dutch Employee Insurance Agency (UWV).

Did you not receive wages for work or were you exploited in any other way?

Unfortunately, employers sometimes try to exploit refugees by not paying them their wages or treating them unfairly in other ways. FairWork supports victims of labour exploitation and human trafficking. Do you suspect this happened/is happening to you? In the case of work-related problems and labour exploitation, you can contact FairWork on telephone number +31 (0)20 760 0809 or via their website. You can report any suspicion of labour exploitation to the Netherlands Labour Authority on 0800 5151.


From September 2023 onward, Dutch universities of applied science and universities will be able to determine the fee they will charge Ukrainian students. If you plan to study in the new academic year starting in September, make sure to ask what fee you will have to pay. Would you like to find out if there are funding options for you? Go to one of the VluchtelingenWerk consultations, more information can be found at the bottom of this newsletter and on the website.


Income tax

Working people in the Netherlands have to submit income tax returns. The tax return letter is always sent out in a blue envelope. The Ministry is currently assessing whether working Ukrainians have to do the same. Until a decision is taken you will not have to submit a return if you have not yet received the tax return letter.

If you have already received the letter, it is important that you take action on time. Help and information is available from the following organisations:


Sometimes you are entitled to benefits from the Tax Administration. A benefit is a monthly sum you receive from the Tax Administration to pay specific costs. You can find more information on the website. Did you miss the VluchtelingenWerk webinar about Tax Administration benefits for Ukrainians and would you like to see it?  Go to The webinar is in Dutch with sheets in Ukrainian.

Living allowance

You are entitled to the living allowance once you have registered, have been issued with a Citizen Service Number (BSN) and are staying in the municipal reception centre or with someone privately. The amounts have been set by the government in the Ukrainian refugee reception scheme [regeling opvang ontheemden Oekraïne]. The amount of the allowance depends on where you stay, in a central reception centre or with a host family. The following amounts apply as from February 2023:

Central reception centre

If you are staying at a central reception centre, you will receive €56.12 per person per month for clothing and other personal expenditure. You will not receive any payment for food and drink because these are being provided at the central reception centre. 

The new municipal reception centres will have shared kitchens and you will have to cook meals yourself. Consequently, after you have moved you will also receive an amount in the living allowance for food and drink (see below). 

Host family

If you are staying with a host family, you will receive a living allowance if you are registered as a resident of Amersfoort. You will receive €56.12 per person per month for clothing and other personal expenditure. Because you are living with a host family you will also receive an extra amount of €93.00 per person per month. You can make agreements yourself with your host family concerning your contribution to the costs of living. 

You will also receive a contribution in the living allowance for food and drink.

Living allowance for food and drink

The amount for food and depends on the size of the family:

  • A family of 1 or 2 people will receive € 215.06 per adult or single underage child and € 178.36 per underage child per month.
  • A family of 3 people will receive € 171.99 per adult and € 142.57 per underage child per month.
  • A family of 4 people or more will receive € 150.45 per adult and € 124.97 per underage child per month.

You can work out how much you are going to receive using the ‘calculation tool’.

A family is taken to mean a married couple, or partners who are considered equivalent to being married, their underage children, or a parent or guardian who is responsible under Dutch law or practice for the underage and unmarried children. Grandparents, uncles, aunts or adult children are not regarded as belonging to the family. According to the rules they are an individual, or a separate family.

If an adult family member has sufficient income from paid work or receives a benefit, such as unemployment benefit, the living allowance will be stopped not only for the refugee himself, but for the whole family.

NB: you must inform the municipality as quickly as possible of any changes in your income. The municipality may claim back any excess living allowance that has been paid out.

Applying for the living allowance

Before you can apply for the living allowance you must make an appointment with civil affairs department [Burgerzaken] so that you can be registered in the Personal Records Database [Basisregistratie Personen] and be issued with a Citizen Service Number (BSN). As soon as you have received your BSN you can apply for the living allowance.

To apply for the living allowance please send an email to An appointment will be scheduled for you on a Thursday between 10.00 and 12.00 at Stadhuisplein 3. All your family members must attend the appointment and must bring their identity document and BSN number with them.

Payment of the living allowance

If you do not have a suitable bank account to which we can transfer the living allowance, we will send you a prepaid payment card to which the amount will be credited on the first Tuesday or Thursday of the month. You should open a personal bank account as soon as possible. The living allowance for underage children will be transferred to the parent or carer. If you have received too much living allowance, we may reclaim it from you, for example if you have not informed us on time that you have started work.

Using the prepaid payment card

You can use the prepaid payment card to pay for items in stores and to withdraw money from a cashpoint. You will not be able to withdraw more money than is on the payment card (you are not allowed to be overdrawn). If you would you like to find out more about using the card, for example how much money you can spend with the card and how you can see what has been credited and debited and would you also like to know when money has been added to the card and what you have to do if you have your own bank account.

NB: From this fall onward, these prepaid payment cards will no longer be valid, so if you are still using it, you must open an account with a Dutch bank and send your account number (IBAN) to

Prepaid PIN card explanatory notes

Changes to your personal situation

Receiving the living allowance means you have certain obligations. It is important that you comply with these. The following are the most important obligations you have:

  • If you move to a different address, you must inform the municipality.
  • You must also inform the municipality if you start working and start receiving an income. If you earn more than the amount of living allowance you are receiving, you will then no longer be entitled to the living allowance. If you earn less, the municipality will make up the difference.
  • You should inform the municipality of these changes as soon as possible, and in any event within 7 days, by sending an email to

Questions about the living allowance

If you have any questions about the living allowance and the payment card, please contact the municipality of Amersfoort. You can also do this by sending an email to An appointment will be made on Tuesday or Thursday between 10.00 and 12.00 o'clock.

Clothing and toys

'Clothing bank'

If you need clothing and do not have enough money to buy them in a shop, you can go to the Amersfoort Clothing Bank [Kledingbank Amersfoort]. To do so you will first need to obtain a letter of referral by sending an email to

'Toy bank'

The same applies to the Speelgoedbank Amersfoort.

Charity classroom [Weggeeflokaal]

People who have a low income (such as no more than a living allowance) can take 6 clothing items or toys from the Weggeeflokaal once a month. This facility is open on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 9.30 - 16.00 at the MBO Amersfoort building, Leusderweg 30-34, 3817 KB Amersfoort. It is an initiative of the MBO school students. You can just walk in or make an appointment via 0628 361 169 or

Opening a bank account

You will need your own bank account for more and more things, for example for your living allowance. You should therefore make sure you open your own account as quickly as possible and inform the municipality accordingly. If you only have a Ukrainian bank account number and bank card, you may have to pay additional costs. It is then cheaper to open a Dutch account.

What you need to open a bank account and which identity documents are accepted differs per bank. Do you want to know which banks you can use and what you need to open an account? You can find more information here. If you need assistance, ask RefugeeHelp for assistance (hours at the end of this web page) or go to your participation agent at your reception centre.

If you become involved in legal proceedings in the Netherlands, you will not need a lawyer in most cases. If you have a legal question or need support, you can contact the Legal Help Desk [Juridisch Loket].

If, however, you do need a lawyer, you will be entitled to a pro bono lawyer. The costs will be partially paid for by the Dutch government, if you do not have enough income yourself.
You can find more information about legal assistance on the RefugeeHelp website.



If you are looking for a sports or fitness club, or somewhere where you can play tennis, swim, or do some other type of sport,  please contact the local sports coaches in Amersfoort.

Every week these local sports coaches organise around 150 activities for all kinds of target groups, ranging children aged over 4 years old to senior citizens aged over 90, both during the day and outside school hours. They can help you with any questions you might have about sport in Amersfoort and any financial schemes that are available.

If you have any questions, please send an email (in English) to stating your name and telephone number so that they can contact you.

Want to go for a walk or run in the city? Try an ‘exercise route’ [‘beweegrondje’].

Other activities

Indebuurt033 organises activities especially for and with Ukrainians on a regular basis, such as walking, cooking/sharing a meal, or making music. Check out their website to see if there is something you’d like to do!

The ‘Oekraïners aan Tafel’ (Ukrainians at the table) is searching for new participants. Would you like to get to know a Dutch family, for instance by having a meal with them and perhaps cook together as well? You can register via the website.


People who already have a pet are allowed to keep it. However, the idea is not for people to take new pets with them when they move to our new reception centres.

If you have travelled to the Netherlands with a pet, you must notify the Netherlands Food and Consumer Product Safety Authority [Nederlandse Voedsel en Warenautoriteit] (NVWA). This is because rules apply to bringing pets into the Netherlands. Your pet may, for example, be a carrier  due to the possibility of them carrying of a virus or illness. Ukraine is, for example, a high-risk country as regards the deadly disease of rabies.

The following rules apply to pet owners:
  • When you register with the municipality of Amersfoort, you must tell them you have brought a pet with you;
  • When you arrive in the Netherlands you must take your pet to a vet. The municipality will help you make the necessary appointment;
  • You must make sure that your pet has little or no contact with other animals and people.

From 15 June 2023, the temporary easing of import requirements for the pets of displaced persons who have fled Ukraine due to the crisis will come to an end. New pets from third countries must therefore comply with the standard import requirements by 15 June. The contact point ‘Help For Animals From Ukraine’ [Hulp Voor Dieren uit Oekraïne] will be phased out.

Public transport & driving licences

Refugees who arrive in the Netherlands can travel by train for free. Dutch Railways [Nederlandse Spoorwegen] (NS) is providing free transport if you show your Ukrainian passport, or have a German, Belgian, French, or Austrian train ticket which is less than 24 hours old. You can collect a free day ticket from the Tickets and Service desk at the train stations.

You will have to pay to travel by bus, tram or metro.

As soon as you have been registered in the BRP and have been issued with a BSN, you will be entitled to the living allowance. You will then no longer be able to travel on public transport for free. You will need to purchase individual tickets or a public transport smart card known as the OV chip card [OV-chipkaart].

Driving licence

Anyone who has a valid Ukrainian driving licence and comes to live in the Netherlands can drive in the Netherlands as long as they are covered by the Protection Directive for Ukrainian Refugees [Richtlijn Bescherming Oekraïense Vluchtelingen]. The above does not apply if you have a driving licence from 3rd country:

  • If you are granted a residence permit after a regular application, you can have your driving licence converted to a Dutch driving licence: Can I have my foreign driving licence converted to a Dutch driving licence? | If this is your situation, it may be useful to start the procedure early on. If you have to pass your driving test again, you may have to wait for a long time.
  • If you have a third-country driving licence and the Protection Directive for Ukrainian Refugees continues to apply to you, you cannot have your driving licence converted. We are working on a solution and will post any new information here as soon as it is available. ​​​​​

Exemption from private motor vehicle tax 

Normally, car owners in the Netherlands have to pay 2 types of tax, namely private motor vehicle and motorcycle tax (BPM) and road tax (MRB). You are allowed to use a Ukrainian car in the Netherlands if you register it. You can also apply for an exemption from private motor vehicle and motorcycle tax. You can find more information on this here.

Other forms of transport

If you travel in some other way, for example by taxi or bus, make sure you travel safely. Inform friends or family members about your location and, if necessary, send a photo of the taxi drivers licence. You should avoid getting into cars if the driver does not allow you to take photos. If something seems suspicious, you should get out immediately.

Where can I get language lessons?

Refugees who reside at Utrechtseweg, Hellestraat or Zonnehof can attend language lessons taught by volunteers of the Dutch Council for Refugees [VluchtelingenWerk]. Please ask your caretaker when there are classes.

For refugees who are staying with host families:

Do you have income so you can take a paid course? Then check out these options: 


Returning to Ukraine

Ukrainian refugees who want to return to Ukraine from the Netherlands can get assistance with doing so from the national government's Repatriation and Departure Service [Dienst Terugkeer en Vertrek] (DT&V).

This Service can provide answers to questions and advice and help to arrange the necessary documents and transport. In order to receive assistance you can send an email to: or complete the form on the DT&V website. When doing so please state, in any event, the first name and surname of the refugee(s) in question, their date of birth, the address they are staying at and their contact details.

Continuing your journey to a country outside the EU

Refugees from Ukraine who wish to continue their journey to another country outside the EU can contact IOM Nederland on +31 88 746 44 66 or +31 70 318 1500.

Continuing your journey to another country within the EU

Refugees are free to travel within the EU. Any refugee who leaves Amersfoort should notify the municipality. Any refugees who move house within the municipality of Amersfoort should notify the municipality as well.

  • If a refugee is staying at a reception centre, the staff there will help them notify us of a change of address. To do this please contact the location manager.
  • If a refugee is staying with a host family and is moving to another address in Amersfoort, or is leaving to go abroad, they must notify the municipality themselves. They can do so by sending an email to If you are receiving the living allowance from the municipality, you are also obliged to send an email notification that you are leaving to
  • Do not forget to tell your child's school that your child will no longer be attending because you are relocating. In the case of children aged 4-10 years old you should send an email to and in the case of young people aged 11 and over who are attending secondary education you should send an email to

If you are relocating to another municipality in the Netherlands, do not forget to register with your new municipality.


About your stay in Amersfoort


Queries about other topics:


If you are a Ukrainian refugee and you would like to receive all the latest news about staying in our city, and local and national regulations, you can subscribe to this newsletter.